Thursday, December 06, 2018

No One Wants to be a Fool

“Everyone who listens to these words of mine but does not act on them will be like a fool us who built his house on sand.”

Matthew 7:26




No one wants to be a fool, but many of us act like fools when we do not take Jesus’ words seriously. Many of us prefer to sing Frank Sinatra’s popular song, “I did it my way!” Part of the song goes: “I planned each charted course, Each careful step along the byway, And more, much more than this I did it my way”. A lot of times, when we do it our way, we find our sweat and time was wasted. Psalm 127:1 reminds us that unless the Lord builds the house, we labor in vain. 


When I was 12 years old, I remember what happened when a 7.3 magnitude earthquake hit Manila. A 6-storey building fell like pancakes, one floor stacked up on another. 268 people were buried alive and we watched the rescue effort on our black and white TV. Ruby Towers was not located along the Pasig River, but many of the buildings constructed on land with alluvial deposits suffered the most damage during that strong earthquake. 


It will not matter if our house has gold doorknobs and marble floors, if it is built on sand, it will topple like Jenga wood blocks. Let us make sure we heed Jesus’ words and build our life on the rock and strong foundation that is Jesus (Psalm 18:2 and many other verses). 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am so glad you dropped by! You are a blessing!
:^) Patsy