Wednesday, February 26, 2020

Return to Me

“Even now, says the Lord, return to me with your whole heart...” Joel 2:12




How plaintive the Lord sounds, pleading with us to return to Him. It reminds me of the father of the prodigal son, waiting and longing for his son to return from his journey away from his home and family. Truly the Lord yearns for us to be close to Him. That is why He created us, to have a relationship with us. It’s not complicated. He loves us with a deep and faithful love, and He wants us to talk to Him and listen to Him. 


Sometimes we have a hard time praying, but like with many things we find hard, all we need to do is practice. We can go to the Bible and make the words our own. For Ash Wednesday, Psalm 51 is especially appropriate. 


“Have mercy on me, O God, in Your faithful goodness. In the greatness of Your compassion, wipe out my many sins and offenses against You. Thoroughly wash me clean from my guilt and of my sin cleanse me, my Father. I acknowledge how I have turned away from You and hurt You. Against You who are always forgiving and loving, have I sinned, and done what is evil in Your sight. 


“A clean heart create for me, O God, and an upright and steadfast spirit renew within me. Cast me not from Your Holy presence, and take not Your Spirit from me. Give me back the joy and the freedom of Your salvation, and a willing spirit sustain in me. O Lord, open my lips, and my mouth shall proclaim Your praise.” 



No comments:

Post a Comment

I am so glad you dropped by! You are a blessing!
:^) Patsy