Friday, May 22, 2020

Turned to Joy

“When a woman is in labor, she is in anguish because her hour has arrived; but when she has given birth to a child, she no longer remembers the pain because of her joy that a child has been born into the world.” John 16:21



I was 38 years old when I was pregnant with Joshua. Back then, 25 years ago, 38 was considered “old” to be pregnant, and my pregnancy could have been complicated. One day, I became worried because the baby was making odd little consecutive “coughs”, and I prayed that he was all right inside. It turned out that Joshua had the hiccups! I did not know that babies could have hiccups! God reassured me then, “You will know how much I love you when you hold your baby in your arms.” Mothers experience many anxieties, pains and inconveniences, during pregnancy, and while giving birth, but truly, there is no joy comparable to holding your baby in your arms! 

Jesus uses the picture of a pregnant woman in the throes of childbirth to give the apostles an idea of what is in store for them. They will have anguish and suffering while ‘giving birth’ to this new way of life of following Christ. We too can relate to this imagery, as in our life as well, we cannot escape pain. It is part of growth, part of maturing, part of learning, in different stages and seasons of our existence. It is inseparable from God’s design. Just as Jesus suffered, and died, to bring about the greatest good for mankind, so our pains and sorrows, our strivings, have meaning and purpose as well. 

“Very truly I tell you, unless a kernel of wheat falls to the ground and dies, it remains only a single seed. But if it dies, it produces many seeds.” (John 12:24) Sometimes we cannot understand God’s plans, but if we trust and follow His words, there is always a reward, our labors will be turned into joy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am so glad you dropped by! You are a blessing!
:^) Patsy