Friday, July 17, 2020

Wear Your Invisible Crown

“I desire mercy, not sacrifice.” Matthew 12:7




Here Jesus quoted from Hosea 6:6 when the Pharisees were on the judgement seat again, declaring what His disciples were doing was unlawful. 


When I was in High School, I had to memorize and recite Portia’s famous lines in William Shakespeare’s “The Merchant of Venice”:


“The quality of mercy is not strained. 

It droppeth as the gentle rain from heaven 

Upon the place beneath. It is twice blest: 

It blesseth him that gives and him that takes. 

Tis mightiest in the mightiest; it becomes 

The throned monarch better than his crown. 

His scepter shows the force of temporal power, 

The attribute to awe and majesty, 

Wherein doth sit the dread and fear of kings. 

But mercy is above this sceptered sway; 

It is enthroned in the hearts of kings; 

It is an attribute of God Himself; 

And earthly power doth then show like God's 

When mercy seasons justice.”


Yes, mercy is an attribute, a quality of God, love being the foundation of what He does. We do not deserve everything God does for us, especially His ultimate sacrifice of His Son Jesus. “God demonstrates His own love for us in this: While we were still sinners, Christ died for us.” Romans 5:8


Are we merciful like God? When we are in a more dominant, more powerful position, do we show compassion? I remember clearly when I did not. We had ordered a meal at a restaurant in El Nido, and I instructed the young waitress to separate the bill. When she came back, I got so irritated because she did not follow what I asked her to do. I berated her for it and I am still ashamed of my behavior. 


Mercy, as Shakespeare wrote, becomes the throned monarch better than his crown. We are all sons and daughters of the King of Kings. I believe we are here on earth to learn the ways of our Father, not only mercy, but goodness, graciousness, generosity and kindness. But most of all, love. Let us always remember to wear our invisible crown as we go about our day, and make sure that we wear it like a son or daughter of a gracious and loving God. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I am so glad you dropped by! You are a blessing!
:^) Patsy