Wednesday, October 28, 2020

And Jesus Went Up to Pray

"Jesus went up to the mountain to pray, and He spent the night in prayer to God. When day came, He called the disciples to Himself and from them He chose twelve." Luke 6:12




Before Jesus chose the twelve apostles (from the Greek word meaning "one who is sent away", like a messenger or ambassador), He prayed. This was a very important decision. Jesus prayed the whole night!


Most of the time, my prayers bring good fruit. Someone gets healed. A problem is solved. A brother gets a job. We reach somewhere safely. I have been praying big and small prayers since I was very young. But sometimes my prayers are not answered. My mother died. My father died. My brother is still sick. I am still on oxygen 24/7. 


But I look at Jesus and see that after praying the whole night up in the mountain (not in the comfort of His bed like I am), He still chose one man, Judas Iscariot. We can't say that was a good choice, can we? 


But I do believe it was an inspired choice. In a way, because of Judas and what he did, I am saved. Because of Judas, God's plan was fulfilled. But what of Judas? God only knows. If only he repented. I know that even if something goes very wrong, as it sometimes will, God can use that for the good of those who love Him (Romans 8:28). 


So when my prayers aren't answered the way I want God to answer, I can only look to Jesus' prayer on the mountain and trust that God knows best. He has His own purposes. A bigger plan. A grander vision. I need only to stay in faith and trust that He has my very best in mind.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I am so glad you dropped by! You are a blessing!
:^) Patsy