Monday, January 11, 2021

Believe

“This is the time of fulfillment. The Kingdom of God is at hand. Repent, and believe in the Gospel.” Mark 1:15




When the priest puts ashes in the shape of a cross on our foreheads on Ash Wednesday, he intones, “Repent and believe in the Gospel”. In this we follow the example of the Ninevites who did penance in sackcloth and ashes when they disobeyed God and wanted to be forgiven. We are also reminded that man is dust, and to dust we shall return. 


Life is hard. Showing up day after day is hard. Even praying can be hard sometimes. I confess that writing this every morning at 5 am or earlier is a way of preaching to myself. I need to show up, to be intentional about it before God every morning, or I won’t show up at all. I have notebooks and notebooks filled with my writings, outpourings of my heart to a God who also shows up for me whenever I come before Him. It’s my way of proving to God that I believe in Him, I believe in His words, His promises, His instructions. I believe He is worth it. 


“This is the time of fulfillment.” The Greek word used for time in this verse is “kairos” which indicates a period predetermined by God. Our whole life is predetermined by God. We were born for such a time as this, as it says in Esther 4:14. What is it that God has placed us to do here? What doors has He placed in our path to open? Are there people we need to influence and encourage? Are there opportunities He wants us to see, and plans He wants us to make? 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I am so glad you dropped by! You are a blessing!
:^) Patsy