Thursday, February 08, 2024

Hear Our Prayer

“Lord, even the dogs under the table eat the children’s scraps.” Mark 7:28




This passage can be very confusing. Jesus, who is usually so kind to women, likens a Syrophoenician woman to a dog. She only comes to Him for his help because her  daughter is terribly troubled by a demon. First He answers that His mission is only to the lost sheep of Israel. She is not deterred. She moves closer and pleads, "Help me, Lord!" 


And then He says the painful and to me, deeply confusing, "It is not right to take the food of sons and daughters and throw it to the dogs." Even this rebuff does not stop her. "Please, Lord," she insists, "even the dogs eat the leavings that fall from their masters' tables." Ahhh, finally, we learn from the 15th chapter of Matthew that Jesus says in reply, "Woman, you have great faith! Your wish will come to pass." That very moment, the woman's daughter was healed. 


If it was me, when would I have stopped and left in shame? Would I have gone away when the disciples shooed me away? Or the first time Jesus said no? Would I have persisted till Jesus granted me my prayer? 


Saint Augustine, in reflecting on this gospel story, wrote that Jesus was not refusing her. He was toning her desire, training her and in turn teaching us how to pray. Persistently, confidently, knocking without giving up. 


Is there something in our hearts today that we need from the Lord? I can think of many things. My intercessory list is so long. I am asking for healing for an alphabetical list of sick people including myself. I pray for our church with its many controversies, our country that needs miracles, etc. 


Lord of Lords, have pity on us! I have no doubt, O Lord, that You will hear our prayer as we continuously knock on Your door for Your mercy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am so glad you dropped by! You are a blessing!
:^) Patsy