Tuesday, September 01, 2009

Tell me whom you love...


This is one of my favorite romantic stories...


John Blanchard stood up from the bench,

straightened his Army uniform,and studied the

crowd of people making their way through Grand Central Station.

He looked for the girl whose heart he knew,

but whoseface he didn't.

His interest in her begun

thirteen months before in a Florida library.

Taking a book off the shelf he found himself intrigued,

not with the words of the book,

but with the notes penciled in the margin.

The soft handwriting reflected a

thoughtful soul and insightful mind.

In the front of the book, he discovered the previous owner's name,

Miss Hollis Maynell.

With time and effort he located her address.

He lived in New York City and he wrote her a letter

introducing himself and inviting her to correspond.

The next day he was shipped overseas for service in W.W.II.

During the next year and one-month the two grew

to know each other through the mail.

Each letter was a seed falling on a fertile heart.

A romance was building.

Blanchard requested a photograph, but she refused.

She felt that if he really cared,

it wouldn't matter what she looked like.

When the day finally came for him to return from Europe,

they scheduled their first meeting -

7:00 at the Grand Central Station in New York.

"You'll recognize me," she wrote,

"by the red rose l'll be wearing on my lapel."

So at 7:00 he was in the station looking for a girl

whose heart he loved,

but whose face he'd never seen.

I'll let Mr. Blanchard tell you what happened:

A young woman was coming toward me,

her figure long and slim.

Her blonde hair lay back in curls from her delicate ears;

her eyes as blue as flowers.

Her lips and chin had a gentle firmness,

and in her pale green suit she was like springtime come alive.

I started toward her,

entirely forgetting to notice that she was not wearing a rose.

As I moved, a small, provocative smile curved her lips.

"Going my way, sailor?" she murmured.

Almost uncontrollably I made one step closer to her,

and then I saw Hollis Maypole.

She was standing directly, almost directly behind the girl.

A woman well past 40, she had graying hair

tucked under a worn hat.

She was more than plump,

her thick-ankled feet thrust into low-heeled shoes.

The girl in the green suit was walking quickly away.

I felt as though I was split in two,

so keen was my desire to follow her

and yet so deep was my longing

for the woman whose spirit had

truly companioned me and upheld my own.

And there she stood.

Her pale, plump face was gentle and sensible.

Her gray eyes had a warm and kindly twinkle.

I did not hesitate.

My fingers gripped the small worn blue leather copy

of the book that was to identify me to her.

This would not be love, but it would be something precious,

something perhaps even better than love,

a friendship for which I had been and must ever been grateful.

I squared my shoulders and saluted

and held out the book to the woman,

even though while I spoke I felt choked by the

bitterness of my disappointment.

"I'm Lieutenant John Blanchard, and you must be Miss Maynell.

I am so glad you could meet me.

May I take you to dinner?"

The woman's face broadened into a tolerant smile.

"I don't know what this is about, son," she answered,

"but the young lady in the green suit who just went by,

she begged me to wear this rose on my coat.

And she said if you were to ask me out to dinner,

I should go and tell you that she is waiting for you

in the big restaurant across the street.

She said it was some kind of test!"

It's not difficult to understand

and admire Miss Maynell's wisdom.

The true nature of a heart is seen in

its response to unattractiveness.

"Tell me whom you love," Houssaye wrote,

"and I will tell you who you are."


6 comments:

  1. Anonymous1:59 AM

    Here's my favorite. I wrote it and it's a true story

    http://thinkaloo.com/ideas/view/view_idea.php?id=1800

    ReplyDelete
  2. hey pasty! m really haapy that u liked d aricle nd it s helpful for u..why dont u write me at vikash.nshm@gmail.com? r u there in orkut too? i'll b happy to here from u..thanks once again..

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a wonderful story :-) Hugs, antonella

    ReplyDelete
  4. love it!!!! make s me fall in love again and again

    ReplyDelete




  5. How I Got My Husband Back...........
    My Names is Monica Brown ,AM from United states .i never believed in love spells or magic until i met this spell caster once when i went to Africa in June last year on a business summit i meet a man called Dr oyinbo, is powerful he could help you cast a spells to bring back my love s gone misbehaving lover looking for some one to love you bring back lost money and magic money spell or spell for a good job i m now happy & a living testimony cos the man i had wanted to marry left me 4weeks before our wedding and my life was upside down cos our relationship has been on for 3 year i really loved him, but his mother was against me and he had no good paying job so when i met this spell caster, i told him what happened and explained the situation of things to him at first i was undecided,skeptical and doubtful, but i just gave it a try and in 6 days when i returned to taxes my boyfriend (is now my husband ) he called me by himself and came to me apologizing that everything had been settled with his mom and family and he got a new job interview so we should get married i didn’t believe it cos the spell caster only asked for my name and my boyfriends name and all i wanted him to do well we are happily married now and we are expecting our little kid and my husband also got a new job and our lives became much better in case anyone needs the spell caster for some help his email address: prophetoyinbojesus@yahoo.com


    ReplyDelete



  6. 'Hello friends, an awesome and amazing testimony about a Great spell caster i really love to share. My name is Jerry Mike from the United States. Getting my wife back is what i least expected and could never imagine. I and my wife have been married for five years and we have been living happily but all of a sudden she changed completely and turned away from me and i never knew what was going on, i tried to ask her but she refused to tell me what the problem is, and as time went on she sought for a divorce. I was so worried and confused, and i did all my possible best to get her back but it was all in vain and i thought all hope was lost, and during my search for a way out, a friend of mine who had similar problem told me about a great spell caster called Great baba who helped him to solve his problem. I never use to believe in spell casting in my entire life because i never thought it will work but i tried to give this man a chance and to my greatest surprise, he did his work and it yielded a positive result and i was able to get my wife back. Even after the spell caster did his work, i discovered that my wife fell so much in love with me like never before. This spell casting isn't brain washing but he opened up her eyes to see how much i love and needed her, and now i am a happy man again and so i am using this opportunity to tell anyone having the same or similar problem to visit him on baba100spelltemple@gmail.com and he will help you because he is so real and trust worthy. Trust him, believe and listen to him. Do what he ask you to do because he is very REAL and POWERFUL. Once again thank you Great baba and may your gods always reward you for your good deeds.
    '

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you dropped by! You are a blessing!
:^) Patsy