Wednesday, March 04, 2015

WOYWW: The Separated Ones

 I woke up to this on my desk this morning.
I was trying to do some work with a white Uniball Signo pen,
but my head kept nodding, and my hand was 
drawing marks my mind did not tell it to write!
I gave up and went to sleep.

 See the white marks? That's what I was drawing. 
I went to sleep at 8 pm!
And woke up at 3 am!

 "Practice and obey whatever they say to you but do not follow their example." Matthew 23:3
This is what Jesus said to the disciples about the teachers of religious law and the Pharisees. He most probably would say the same about me! I am constantly conscious of the things I write because it says in James 3:1, "We who teach will be judged by God with greater strictness."
Who were the Pharisees? "The Pharisees," as I read from pencilled notes on my Bible (probably from The Word Among Us) "got their name from the Hebrew word "Perusim", meaning the separated ones- and they really did try to live up to their title. They were primarily a lay renewal movement that arose from a group of pious Jews who resisted pagan influence during the Greek occupation of Palestine in 4th C BC."

 They wore phylacteries (prayer boxes) on their forehead or left wrist, which contained parchment with texts from the Torah, "in such a way that it hung from in front of the eyes! Thus the injunction to keep the law as a sign on the hand and as a memorial between the eyes was literally observed." (Jerome Commentary)
How about me? A lot of people have a junk drawer to keep their mess out of view. I have a junk ROOM! My spiritual mess is not on display either! So do not follow my example!
Lord, have mercy on me, a sinner!

"Promise me that these sons of mine will sit, one on your right hand and the other at your left in Your Kingdom." Matthew 20:21
Jesus is like a flashlight. When we read about His life, and the lessons He teaches, our inner life is exposed. The mother of James and John asked Jesus to promise a prominent position for them both in His Kingdom. We can laugh at her OR we can shine the light on our own life and see the ways we desire to get ahead of others, feel entitled or privileged. I can't say I wouldn't have pushed myself to confront Jesus if I wanted something for my son!

Salome, the mom, obviously did not grasp Jesus' purpose and mission on earth. Neither did her sons. They were not called "Sons of Thunder" for nothing. They were impetuous, selfish, and had a fiery temper, wanting to rain fire down on an unsuspecting people. Just like many of us, when we do not get our way!

But they were both transformed. Walking with Jesus and listening to His words does that to a person. James became the first apostle to be martyred for the faith. Herod had him executed by the sword in AD 44. John, on the other hand, lived a long life and was the only one not to die a martyr's death. He was the only one to remain at the foot of the cross, along with the women, and he was tasked by Jesus to take care of His mother Mary. He wrote many books.
We have two examples of men who were called by Jesus, and slowly but surely transformed. Lord, mold me and transform me! Make me into the person You created me to be. Help me to live my life with a passion for the purpose You've given me!



Joining the lovely Julia Dunnit for a 
peek at desks and projects!
I find a lot of inspiration
visiting my friends here:

Blessings!
Patsy

16 comments:

  1. I'm so fascinated by your art! And I'm convicted. As a writer trying to build my platform and get things published, I see that mom in a different light. How often we come to the Lord to get what we want. So glad I stopped by from Testimony Tuesday. I'll find you on social media as well. To me, this linky thing is about building relationships. I can never figure out the options on the comment register. I blog at www.gingerharrington.com if it doesn't show up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love those cute birds and flowers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. the canvas is so beautiful!
    happy WOYWW
    Love Mrs.C.xx
    http://craftroomdiary.blogspot.co.uk/2015/03/woyww-march-3rd-2015.html

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi I'm trying to visit everyone on this special WOYWW. Always admire your art. Anne x#38

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi I'm trying to visit everyone on this special WOYWW. Always admire your art. Anne x#38

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love the beautiful flowers...if I could paint like that whilst falling asleep, I'd be a happy woman!
    Happy 300 hugs,
    LLJ 7 xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a beautiful post! Love reading your words! And I love your paintings! God bless you!
    Carol N #52

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your beautiful post today! Those flowers are gorgeous. Happy WOYWW #300! Sandy Leigh #58

    ReplyDelete
  9. That is such an inspiring canvas...love it. And your post as well :) Shel - paperocotillostudio #25

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy 300th! I love where you get your inspiration from. Your pictures are amazing. Lucy # 6 x

    ReplyDelete
  11. We have a phrase here in Britain "I could fall asleep on a washing line" - I admit to being a person who can do that - sit down, and a few minutes later I am nodding - never slept like that for 7 hours though. You must have been really tired!
    Take care. God bless.
    Margaret #4

    ReplyDelete
  12. Thank you for sharing your wonderful art and deep thoughts today, Patsy. Many blessings are asked for you this week. I pray the Lord will really surprise you with his love.
    Hugs,
    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Patsy happy 300th WOYWW. Your Cheers RobynO#14

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm sure that our distinguished Sir Ian McKellen would be delighted to be the base model for a picture in your art journal. Doesnt he have the most interesting of faces! I think its very telling of how much we need to be a bit creative every day that you find yourself nodding off whilst trying to draw!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous10:35 AM

    Your art and your message draw me in - always - and like good food served with warm hospitality, I am enriched! Shalom, Patsy!
    ~Maryleigh

    ReplyDelete
  16. The Holy Spirit has given you such great insight into scripture. It is easy to read passages such as this and think poorly of the characters actions, but you are right, if we take a closer look we will see ourselves in them. I am loving the art on bible pages!
    Thank you for sharing it at What We Accomplished Wednesdays. Blessings, Deborah

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you dropped by! You are a blessing!
:^) Patsy