Thursday, March 08, 2018

Walk in My Way

“Walk in the ways I command you, so that you may prosper.” Jeremiah 7:23



If we read the whole 7th chapter of Jeremiah, we will see how frustrated God was with the disobedience of the Jews. “Do you really think you can steal, murder, commit adultery, lie, and worship other gods, and then come here and stand before Me in My Temple, ...only to go right back to all those evils again?” (V.9-10)



God said, “Obey me and I will be Your God and You will be my people. Walk in all the ways that I command you, so that you may prosper.” But His people did not listen to Him then and it is clear we are not listening now. 



“My people do not listen to me. You keep doing whatever you want , following the stubborn desires of your evil hearts. You turn your backs, not your faces to me. I have sent you untiringly all my servants, the prophets, but you have not heeded their words....This is a nation that does not listen to Me or take correction. Faithfulness has disappeared. Truth itself has banished from your speech.” (V.24-28)



Although this was written in the 6th century B.C., it seems to me as if God is speaking to us today. Jeremiah is one of the well-known prophets of the Old Testament. He lived during the crisis days of Judah when they were being invaded by Babylon, people were being deported, the inhabitants of Jerusalem were being slaughtered, and the Temple was destroyed. The main message was that God was disciplining the people for their disobedience. 



God continues to speak to us today. If we do not turn to Him, we will have crisis after crisis. More people will be slaughtered, more people will have to find work abroad, China will continue to have the temerity to invade our sovereignty, and the Church will continue to be attacked. Lord, forgive us. May we obey You and may the truth be on our lips always. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am so glad you dropped by! You are a blessing!
:^) Patsy