Monday, June 18, 2018

Listen to My Groanings

“Lord, listen to my groaning.” Psalm 5:1




The whole book of Lamentations in the Bible is a funeral song written by the prophet Jeremiah. He was an eyewitness to the devastation of Jerusalem. Jeremiah wanted to record the destruction in vivid detail to warn future generations of what would happen when a people willfully disobey God and fall into sin.  


“Lord, see my anguish! My heart is broken and my soul despairs...My groans are many, and my heart is faint.” Lamentations 1:20-22


In Lamentations, Jeremiah speaks of how the leaders of Jerusalem deprived the people of their rights. They perverted justice in the courts.  “Do they think the Lord did not see it?” Lam. 3:36




Jeremiah cries out: “Lord, remember everything that happened to us. See all the sorrows we bear! Our inheritance has been turned over to strangers, our homes to foreigners. We are orphaned and fatherless...Why have you forsaken us? Restore us O Lord, and bring us back to You again.” Lamentations 5


Like Jeremiah, let us bring our groanings to the Lord. Just as an eagle does not fight his enemy, the snake, on the ground, but takes it up into the air, where he is weak, we too should take our battles into the spiritual realm where our enemies are powerless. 




Whatever it is we are groaning to the Lord for, He will fight for us. The battle is not over yet. “The Lord will fight for you. You need only to be still.” Exodus 14:14

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am so glad you dropped by! You are a blessing!
:^) Patsy