Sunday, July 08, 2018

Broken Pieces

“My grace is enough for you, for in weakness power reaches perfection.” 2 Corinthians 12:9




I think there is much to unpack in this passage, and that the more we unpack, the more we will find. Saint Paul starts the 12th chapter of his letter to the Corinthians with the words, “This boasting is all so foolish!” And he proceeds to boast, not about what he has done for God, and his experiences, even if there is much to tell, but about his WEAKNESSES! Very few people would boast about their weaknesses. 


According to recent statistics, Filipinos scroll through social media an average of 3 hours and 57 minutes a day! That’s a huge chunk of life! When we post, do we post about our achievements, travels, our kids saying the funniest things, food we enjoyed? Of course! No doubt about it! And I think that’s great! Personally, I love reading happy, excited posts. Do we boast about the bad report we submitted, the big mistake we made, the awful diagnosis we received at the doctor’s office? I’ve seen some posts like that, but they are few and far between. We like sharing about what makes us happy, rather than what makes us feel sad, or anxious, or puts us in a not so good spotlight. 


Saint Paul said, “I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ may work through me. I am content with weaknesses, insults, hardships, persecutions and constraints, for the sake of Christ; for when I am weak, then I am strong.” Really? That is so opposite to what the world preaches! Perhaps like Saint Paul, we should see our weaknesses as a way for Christ to really shine through us. 


There is a beautiful Japanese art of repairing broken pottery called Kintsugi or Kintsukuroi which means “golden repair". It uses lacquer mixed with gold powder to put together the broken pieces. Instead of throwing away the pieces, or hiding the damage, it emphasises  it and treats it as part of its history. I think God sees our weaknesses and brokenness in this way, as part and parcel of who we are. He is more than able to use us as we are, broken pieces and all, and make us a masterpiece to glorify the Master!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I am so glad you dropped by! You are a blessing!
:^) Patsy