Monday, November 19, 2018

Reading Scripture Aloud

“Blessed is the one who reads aloud and blessed are those who listen to this prophetic message and heed what is written in it...” Revelation 1:3




I do not read the Book of Revelation very often, and when I do it seems as if I need a key to unlock it. But today, verse 1:3 jumped out at me. Blessed is he who reads these words of prophecy ALOUD and blessed is he who hears it and takes it to heart.


There are definitely benefits to reading aloud to children. Carl Sagan said that, “One of the greatest gifts adults can give – to their offspring and to their society – is to read to children.” Reading aloud builds their vocabulary, and increases their attention span. It gives enjoyment and the quality time spent together strengthens relationships between the child and the adult. But how about when we read to ourselves or when we listen to an audio version of the Bible or when we listen to the Word of God in Church? 




In the letter of Paul to the Romans, he writes that, “Faith comes from hearing the Word of God” (10:17). I usually do not read the Bible aloud, but when I do, I am definitely more immersed in the story or the lesson. I believe reading aloud makes us focus more on what we are reading, and therefore makes us understand more. When we read we may find deeper layers of meaning than if we read silently because sometimes we have a tendency to read fast and even skim over parts we are familiar with. I am definitely guilty of that! 


So if we want to be more intentional in growing our faith, this is one easy, guaranteed way to do it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am so glad you dropped by! You are a blessing!
:^) Patsy