Thursday, May 16, 2019

Adventure!

“The favors of the Lord I will sing forever.” Psalm 89:2



The last word we heard our father struggle to say before he passed on was, “Alleluia!” He knew from where his help came. 



“I will lift up mine eyes to the hills from whence cometh my help, my help cometh from the Lord, the Lord which made Heaven and Earth.” Psalm 121:1-2



Death is a very mysterious door. Some of my friends passed through quickly, and some have laboured long before they were able to see what lay on the other side. My father had a difficult time these past weeks, and my family and I asked for mercy and grace for him, and for ourselves as well. 



When we see death face to face, we realize how ephemeral life is. Where once there was a living, breathing human being, suddenly all breathing stops and there is a suspension of unbelief for a while. Really, truly gone? Never to hear his voice again, his stories, his laughter? Never to see his eager, bright, shining face full of the mischief of youth, still? 



My father lived life to the full. Even when bedridden from his bad back, he was never idle. He was always so busy, researching things on the internet, fiddling around with a new product to sell, solving a problem in his mind, planning his next adventure on the high seas. I was so sad when my usually ebullient 92-year old father gave up and said he could not accomplish his bucket list of going out fishing and crabbing on the boat he made in his backyard. He then proceeded to show his niece and nephews his map and where they should go fishing. 


I thank God for my father. He taught me that life is an adventure. That it can be amazing if we use all the gifts God has lavished upon us, every last drop, never giving up unless we really had to, even when we are old. I think it is a beautiful offering if we could say to God, thank You for all Your gifts and favor. I did not waste any of it! I squeezed it all out and made the most of all you have given me. Alleluia! 

1 comment:

I am so glad you dropped by! You are a blessing!
:^) Patsy