Wednesday, September 02, 2020

I Promised My Son

“Blessed the nation whose God is the LORD, the people He has chosen for His own inheritance. From heaven the LORD looks down; He sees all mankind.” Psalm 33:12-13




What kind of God is this who has chosen us to be his inheritance! If we could choose our own inheritance, it would certainly not be a disobedient, complaining, recalcitrant people! But God thinks very differently from you and me. Perhaps St. Lawrence thinks in the same way as our Father in heaven. When asked by Emperor Valerian for the treasures of the Church, instead of the gold vessels the Emperor expected, Lawrence had brought crowds of poor, lame, crippled and blind to the door of the palace. For that, the Emperor ordered that Lawrence be grilled, barbecued alive. 


Father Michael Scanlan told this story which happened during the disastrous earthquake in Armenia in December 7, 1988. Many buildings, houses, bridges and tunnels collapsed burying people alive. In one small town, when a father rushed to his son’s school, he found it was all rubble, with no sign of life. Other parents looked like zombies, standing around in shock, but this father started digging with bare hands. When told there was no hope, he responded, “I made my son a promise that I'd be there for him anytime he needed me. I must continue to dig."


He continued digging, removing stones, debris and rubble, two hours, three, eight, twenty-four, then in the thirty-eighth hour, he heard voices. “Armand!” he shouted for  the nth time and a child answered: “Dad! It's me...Armand!" Then, "I told the other kids not to worry. I told them that if you were alive, you'd save me, and when you saved me, they'd be saved. You promised you would always be there for me! You did it, Dad!"


Thirteen other frightened and hungry children were saved that day because of the persistence of a father who did not lose hope. When grateful parents and townspeople thanked Armand’s father, he just said simply, “I promised my son, 'No matter what, I'll be there for you!'"


Our Father has chosen us for His own. He will never abandon us nor forsake us. Things may look hard for us now, but ALL THINGS will work together for good. That is His promise to us.



2 comments:

  1. Wow. What a story of a father's love. Your painting beautifully illustrates it. Hugs, Teresa

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you dropped by! You are a blessing!
:^) Patsy