Wednesday, May 05, 2021

We are God’s Garden

“He takes away every branch in me that does not bear fruit, and everyone that does he prunes so that it bears more fruit.” John 15:2




I've never taken to gardening but my father took an interest in it when I was young, and he transformed the empty lot beside our house into a beautiful flower garden with brick walkways and meandering paths. We even had a little gazebo and miniature house. There was a lot of pruning and trimming, watering, mulching, and studying which seeds to plant where and when to do it. One had to control weeds, remove the old stalks and leaves and watch out for bugs, fungus and bacteria.


We are very much like plants. God is our gardener and He prunes us and trims us even if He knows it's painful, sometimes very painful. But like a good gardener, He picks the right time to remove the damaged stalks and rotting foliage that keep us from receiving more of His blessings and to promote new growth. He knows how much water or shade we need. 


Like plants, it is very necessary that we get nutrients, and that's why we need to pray and read the Bible. Plants also need supports like a trellis or an A-frame or stakes. We need community around, brothers and sisters to support us and help us to bloom. And  as for those weeds! Let's go to Jesus so He can pull out the weeds that distract us, crowding out what's really important in our life! 


Lord, help me to bloom and grow in Your light. Thank You for being my gardener and for taking care of me and my needs! Thank You for Your pruning so I can bear more fruit! 


1 comment:

  1. Lovely painting and a vital message. Blessings, Teresa

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you dropped by! You are a blessing!
:^) Patsy