Wednesday, April 18, 2018

Linchpin of our Faith

“I am the bread of life...” John 6:35



It is no surprise that after Jesus multiplied the five loaves and two fishes, and fed the five thousand until they were satisfied, crowds would follow Him. They would even get into a boat in search of Him. If that happened here in the Philippines today, I have no doubt that Jesus would have no moments peace. There would be people knocking on His door at night, creeping up to Him as He prayed in solitude, dogging His every step, trying to touch Him. All that for bread that would be moldy and smelly after a few days.

Jesus offers more, so much more than that. He says, “I am the bread of life; whoever comes to me will never hunger, and whoever believes in me will never thirst.” Never is an “absolute”. Never means not in the past, not in the future, not under any circumstance. Only God can promise never, as only God can promise forever. We know we can depend on Jesus keeping His promises of forever because He rose from the dead. His claims that He is the bread of life, of everlasting life even, rise and fall on the truth of His resurrection. 

The truth we celebrate this Easter season is the linchpin of our Christian faith, the very heart of our faith. As Saint Paul says in 1 Corinthians 15: “If Christ has not been raised, your faith is vain; you are still in your sins” (v. 17).

Lord, may I not be satisfied with the bread this world offers, no matter its claims. May I hunger and thirst only for what You can give me! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am so glad you dropped by! You are a blessing!
:^) Patsy