Wednesday, May 23, 2018

WOYWW: Puff of Smoke

My friend loves Starbucks coffee
and I could not resist making her this!



Happy birthday Elma! 



“You have no idea what your life will be tomorrow. You are a puff of smoke that appears briefly and then disappears.” James 4:14




Sad but true. Yesterday I was shocked and saddened to learn that one of our suppliers who comes to deliver her jewelry to us weekly had passed away so suddenly. Last week, we saw her and everything was just as before. She delayed her dialysis treatment for a few days and now we will not see her again. We just never know what happens in a day.

It seems to me that we should live our life so we make some difference in the world, and perhaps the only way to do that is to know what God’s purpose for us is and to live that purpose. It does not matter how young we are, how old, whether we are a President, or a janitor in a small school in the province. We have work to do that can give meaning to our life. 

John Bechtel was a missionary in Hong Kong and he had a dream to have a camp for the teenagers he saw loitering in the streets. He found a closed hotel and conference center that would be a perfect place but the only problem was it was being sold for $250,000.00. This was in 1971. 

His friend, Walter Meloon, an influential businessman, believed in his vision and promised to raise all the money he needed. 3 months later, Walter sent a note: “Dear John, I’m sorry. I tried my best. I couldn’t raise the funds. Only one person responded. I enclose it.” It was a note from a 14 year old girl named Belinda Holmes. “Dear Mr. Bechtel, I heard about your plan. I’ve been praying about it. I’d like to give you my pocket money. Here is $1. Please use it to buy the camp.”

John was really disappointed but his wife said, “Follow what she says. Go buy the camp for $1.” So he goes off and shows the letter to the caretaker who laughed but reluctantly gave the offer to the Board. The Board prayed about it and agreed to sell the whole place to John for $1.00. Today Suen Douh Camp still exists and over 100,000 children have accepted Christ during one of their trips there. 

20 years later, John is speaking in a church in the States, and a woman approaches him after his talk. “Mr. Bechtel, I am Belinda Holmes.” That was the first time she heard what happened to her $1.00! 

When we pray each day about what we are to do, when we partner with God, we will never know what He can do with our smallness and our willingness to give what He wants us to give. 



Joining the lovely Julia Dunnit for a 
peek at desks and projects!
I find a lot of inspiration
visiting my friends here:

Blessings!
Patsy  

14 comments:

  1. Happy WOYWW # 9 Pasty Lovely Paintings as always and shame about your supplier we never know what will happen that's why we celebrate everyday
    Hugs Nikki??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy 9th WOYWW anniversary Patsy. Love the bible journaling, I bet your friend did too. Have a good week. Sarah #14

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy 9th Anniversary to you. I'm hoping to pop round to visit everyone this week....depending what work comes through my door of course.
    I'm sorry to hear about your friend. Treasure every day eh?
    Here's hoping we can all enjoy many more happy years of fun and friendship.
    Hugs,
    Annie x #1

    ReplyDelete
  4. Morning Patsy. What a mix of emotions for you today - an anniversary of WOYWW, and the sudden death of your friens. Yes - knowing God's plan and purpose for us is just so important - and following it, even more so. Praise God for that young lady who gave her one dollar. God works miracles when we follow him.
    Take care. God bless.
    Margaret #9

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Patsy, I really enjoyed reading the story about John Bechtel, it was obviously meant to be. It looks like you are my PIF for the anniversary swap so if you send me your details I will post you the ATC. I have a contact form on my blog which goes directly to my email so it's completely private so you may wish to send your address that way. Happy woyww Anniversary, Angela x20x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy 9th year to all on WOYWW. great site great art and great people.
    Monica #35

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sad news about your supplier - it's always shocking when things happen without a warning. The portrait of your friend is so lovely - and I adore your doodle flowers and the little bird - so delightful! Happy anniversary! zsuzsa #8

    ReplyDelete
  8. what very sad news - you're right, you never know what is round the corner. live every minute... happy WOYWW Helen #4

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your drawing/painting is beautiful as always. I'm sure your friend will like it. Sorry to read about your supplier, though.

    Hope you are enjoying the WOYWW party. Happy 9th anniversary from #13.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I bet Elma will be a very happy birthday girl, love the picture you made for her! I’m sorry to read about your Jewellery lady losing her life, it’s very sad and harder to quite ‘get your head around’ when there’s no apparent reason. Yep, grasp every day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy Anniversary! I'm trying really hard to get to everyone, but work time just isn't cooperating! I'm sorry about your supplier, as you say, grasp every day.
    -K #32

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy 9th anniversary. Your art work is so beautiful and your words are too. Very inspiring story...just wonderful. Have a great week. Dorlene #40

    ReplyDelete
  13. Happy Anniversary not taking part this year but am trying to visit everyone who has posted. Lovely art work and sorry to hear about your supplier, live life to the full you never know what is round the corner. Ani #3

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy 9th Anniversary Patsy, your artwork is so splendid. So sad to hear of your friend but your words ring so true life is oh so short and we should rejoice and give Thanks for every single minute.
    Wishing you a wonderful weekend & Thank you for sharing WOYWW Tracey #18

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you dropped by! You are a blessing!
:^) Patsy