Sunday, March 15, 2020

Living Water

Jesus responded and said to her: “If you knew the gift of God, and who it is who is saying to you, ‘Give me to drink,’ perhaps you would have made a request of Him, and He would have given you living water.” John 4:10




Yesterday, because of the imposed guidelines to stay home, my friend posted a group bible study on Facebook about this story of the Samaritan woman and Jesus. She said that as a start we should think of questions, questions, questions. The Samaritan woman had lots of questions too. It is all right to have questions about the Word of God, the stories we read in the Bible, the things Jesus said. 


Some people just give up on delving deeper if they have lots of questions, just like I did in my High School years, when I did not agree with what Jesus said. I was too young to know that Jesus welcomes our questions. The woman asked, “How can You, a Jew, ask me a Samaritan woman, for a drink?” Then incredulously, “Sir, You do not even have a bucket and the cistern is deep, where can you get this living water?” 


We are like that Samaritan woman sometimes, happy with the “well” we get our water from, unaware that if we approach Jesus every day He can give us living water that will quench our thirst and hunger which we think that this world can satisfy. St. Augustine learned the secret: “You have made us for yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in Thee.”



No comments:

Post a Comment

I am so glad you dropped by! You are a blessing!
:^) Patsy