Sunday, March 01, 2020

The Sword of the Spirit

“One does not live on bread alone, but on every word that comes forth from the mouth of God.” Matthew 4:4




When Jesus fasted and prayed in the desert for 40 days and 40 nights, He was tempted by the devil. Whenever we fast and pray, we are always distracted by the enemy as well. In our commitment to devote more time to prayer, the enemy will remind us of other things we need to do first, or which are more enjoyable. If we decide to fast, we see food, and we think maybe just a little, I will fast another time. 


We can learn from how Jesus was victorious in defeating the devil, the enemy who always looks for ways for us to fail in our decision to be closer to God. Jesus fought the devil with God’s Word. We should take to heart St. Paul’s letter to the Ephesians 6:10+, “Be strong in the Lord and in His mighty power. Put on the full armor of God, so that you can take your stand against the devil’s schemes....Therefore put on the full armor of God, so that when the day of evil comes, you may be able to stand your ground....In addition to all this, take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming arrows of the evil one. Take the helmet of salvation and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God.”


The sword of the Spirit is God’s Word! When I feel discouraged, I can fight it with God’s Word! It can be very disheartening that 11 weeks after my operation, I am still breathless, and get exhausted right away. But I trust in God’s plan and know it is so easy for Him to heal me right away. I know that “in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose.” (Romans 8:28) And I need not be afraid. “Stand firm and you will see the deliverance the LORD will bring you today.” (Exodus 14:13)



No comments:

Post a Comment

I am so glad you dropped by! You are a blessing!
:^) Patsy