Tuesday, June 20, 2023

I Shall Have Everything

“…that for your sake he became poor although he was rich, so that by his poverty you might become rich.” 2 Corinthians 8:9




Hasn’t it puzzled you that Jesus the Christ chose to be born poor in a small stable, or even a cave as some have written. That he was laid in a feeding trough for animals? That he grew up in the nondescript town of Nazareth? This shows us that God does not put any value in appearances, riches or even power. Although He is the mightiest of the mighty and could easily have laid low His enemies, He chose to be meek as a lamb and allowed Himself to be humiliated and mangled. Yes, just like the lambs that were slaughtered as sacrifices in the Temple. 


I was curious to find out if there was any King who willingly gave up his throne not to escape his duties, not for love of a woman, but for love of Christ. My search brought me to the little know saint, Louis of Toulouse (1274-1297). He was a prince who renounced his right to succeed the throne to join the Franciscans. He claimed: "Jesus Christ is my kingdom. If He is all I have, I shall have everything." He also said, “Jesus Christ is all my riches; He alone is sufficient for me." True to his word, Louis lived very simply, and daily fed 25 poor people at his table. 


Dear Jesus, it is so hard to give up what we have. But help us to put You first over everything, so that You will be our treasure, our pearl of great price. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I am so glad you dropped by! You are a blessing!
:^) Patsy