Sunday, April 14, 2024

It is I

“It is I. Do not be afraid.” John 6:20




Today's gospel is from John chapter 6 and tells the story of the disciples setting off for Capernaum. A strong wind was blowing and they suddenly saw Jesus walking on the water and coming near the boat. They began to be afraid. These strong husky fishermen were terrified at the unknown. 


Jesus calls out to them. “It is I. Do not be afraid."


In 1 John 4:11-18, the writer tells us that God is love and in love, there is no room for fear. "Perfect love casts out all fear." 1 John 4:18. It is good to examine ourselves and see if we have any fear or doubt that we need to root out. Fear of what the future holds, fear of death, fear of losing someone or something, doubts about our capabilities at work or as a mother, anxieties about our health or someone we love. Perhaps we can never fully rid ourselves of some fears, and some are really absurd (like my fear of butterflies!), but we can follow John the Apostle. John in his gospel confessed 6 times that he was the apostle Jesus loved. It is not mentioned in any other gospel, but John knew Christ's love for him was real.


We too can know with certainty that God loves us and wants the best for us. All we need to do is read the Bible, which to me, are His love letters to us. We can feed on it, and make it a part of us. The prophet Jeremiah said, "When Your words came, I ate them. They were my joy and my heart's delight."

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am so glad you dropped by! You are a blessing!
:^) Patsy