Wednesday, October 29, 2014

WOYWW: A Grander Vision

 I woke up to this. I'm going to need
another plastic bag to shove all this in.
But not the hard drive on top.
That's where my son saves the Downton Abbey series.
I was watching the latest one last night.
Poor Edith! The writers should give her a break!

Didn't know how to illustrate this verse.

 "Lord, will only a few be saved?" 
Jesus answered them, 
"Strive to enter through the narrow gate..." 
Luke 13:23-24

Sometimes when we listen to preachers, 
it seems like all we need to do is 
say the sinner's prayer and that's it. 
You're saved. But Jesus says here we have to strive, 
to "strain every nerve to enter", 
to "force yourself through it", 
"to endeavor with strenuous zeal".  
The word 'strive' is translated from 
the Greek AGONIZOMAI,
 where the word 'agony' comes from. 
This word is used to describe athletic contests and war. 
And we know what kind of 
contests and war the Greeks had!!! 

 It sort of reminds me of the big man 
who insisted on going through 
Fat Man's Squeeze in Rock City, Tennessee. 
His friends said no, let's find some other way, 
but he insisted on going through this 
narrow passage between two huge rocks. 
First he removes his jacket, gets out, 
removes his shirt, tries again. 
Then his belt comes off. 
He was able to "force himself through finally"! 

 Jesus is saying here it's not as easy as saying a prayer, 
or getting in a line to accept Him as Lord and Savior.  
It's working at it for our whole life. 
There are things we have to get rid of too, 
like the man unbuckling his belt, removing his jacket.

 But I hold on to Philippians 1:6, 
"...He who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion..." 
Let's strive with confidence and finish the race!!

 "Jesus went up to the mountain to pray, 
and He spent the night in prayer to God. 
When day came, He called the disciples to Himself 
and from them He chose twelve." Luke 6:12


Before Jesus chose the twelve apostles 
(from the Greek word meaning "one who is sent away"
, like a messenger or ambassador), He prayed. 
This was a very important decision. 
Jesus prayed the whole night!

Most of the time, my prayers bring good fruit. 
Someone gets healed. A problem is solved. 
A brother gets a job. We reach somewhere safely. 
I have been praying big and small prayers 
since I was very young. 
But sometimes my prayers are not answered. 
My mother died in February. 
I still have my thorn in the flesh. 
Right now I have 3 canker sores in my mouth :^((


But I look at Jesus and see that 
after praying the whole night up in the mountain 
(not in the comfort of His bed), 
He still chose one man, Judas Iscariot. 
We can't say that was a good choice, can we? 
But I do believe it was an inspired choice. 
In a way, because of Judas and what he did, I am saved. 
Because of Judas, God's plan was fulfilled. 
But what of Judas? God only knows. If only he repented.

So when my prayers aren't answered 
the way I want God to answer, 
I can only look to Jesus' prayer on the mountain 
and trust that God knows best. 
He has His own purposes. 
A bigger plan. A grander vision. 
I need only to stay in faith and trust 
that He has my very best in mind.



Blessings!
Patsy

13 comments:

  1. These are amazing pictures and your words were apropos! Must come back to read more! bless you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Pretty Paintings as always hugs Nikki 6

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for all the encouragement, Patsy, as well as all the lovely art work. Life can seem an uphill battle sometimes, but it is only through tough times that we are changed and matured. Thanks for sharing. Hugs, Chris # 24

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful artwork. Thanks so much for sharing! Glenda #33

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the title. Your artwork is just awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. G'day Patsy. Happy WOYWW. Such gorgeous art and words as usual here...I love both the female and male art pages Patsy!
    hugs Annette In Oz #12

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing your artwork and Words with us again.
    I must agree with you over Edith - I do not understand how parents could not give her the cuddle she needed, I am very disappointed in Cora.
    Laughingly - I know it's only a programme!!
    Bishopsmate #42

    ReplyDelete
  8. YES! So many "go through the motions" but don't have a personal relationship with our Saviour! It's an every day commitment!!! He's #1 on a list of one!!! :D

    Gorgeous artwork as always - such a wonderful talent! Hugs & Blessings!!

    Happy Crafting!
    Jeannie #27

    ReplyDelete
  9. I just assume that you manage to remember what's in each bag as you erm, tidy up!! No spoilers here, just will agree for now..poor Edith!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Interesting ready and super artwork as usual. Thanks for sharing. Hope that you have a lovely crafting week to come. Hazel, WOYWW #55 x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your drawings are wonderful! The shading of the faces is just perfect. I'm still just learning and experimenting! Have a lovely week! zsuzsa @ InkyDinkyDoodle #32

    ReplyDelete
  12. I am so blessed by your art and your writing!! Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you dropped by! You are a blessing!
:^) Patsy