Wednesday, September 26, 2018

WOYWW: He is No Fool









From yesterday’s painting. I enjoyed myself so much, I started another one!



"...take nothing for the journey..." Luke 9:3



When St. Francis of Assisi heard the gospel on taking nothing for the journey on Feb. 24, 1208, he was overjoyed. I can't imagine anyone being overjoyed at Jesus' instructions to the twelve apostles to go out preaching but to take nothing, not even food! But Saint Francis had been feeling the pull of God in dreams and visions, and he felt that this was the clear direction he had been seeking. Although he had been a rich young man, with a taste for luxurious clothes and good food, he had renounced his possessions to the dismay of his father, and embarked on begging for food and for stones to rebuild a small church.



Like Saint Francis, we too are pilgrims on a journey. We take different paths, but we go to the same God. We will all learn eventually that we need to take nothing on our journey. Everything will be left behind. Some learn this later than others. I have to confess that I am accumulating many things on my pilgrimage. I do not travel light. But sometimes a glimpse of someone dying, leaving with nothing, leaving the same way we all came to earth, gives me pause to think. Truly I need to learn to relinquish my hold on possessions, to make my baggage lighter and lighter.



"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep, to gain that which he cannot lose." (Jim Elliot, from his diary, Oct. 28, 1949)



(Another thing I enjoy doing is altering my hand painted pictures with the Prisma app!)




Joining the lovely Julia Dunnit for a 
peek at desks and projects!
I find a lot of inspiration
visiting my friends here:

Blessings!
Patsy  

7 comments:

  1. Your painting is great, I love the patterns in her hair!
    Hugs LLJ 6 xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely painting and illustration! She looks very Egyptian to me! Happy fall, have a great week, Lindart #21

    ReplyDelete
  3. The first illustration looks Egyptian and gorgeous, but the painting has to be my favourite, and I love your comments on St Francis. Thanks for sharing. Have a lovely day. God Bless. Caro x (#23)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the texture you have achieved by drawing and painting over the print Patsy. Happy WOYWW. Sarah #2

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how I love your stylised florals, no wonder you enjoy painting them! Like Sarah, as you know, I love the effect over the print.

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's a great feeling when you enjoy creating something so much you want to do another. Fabulous artwork.
    Thank you for sharing WOYWW Tracey #4

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Patsy. Really good painting.
    Take care. God bless.
    Margaret #1

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you dropped by! You are a blessing!
:^) Patsy