Sunday, October 08, 2017

Resting in Thee

"Have no anxiety at all, 

but in everything, by prayer and petition, with thanksgiving, make your requests known to God, then the peace of God that surpasses all understanding 

will guard your hearts 

and minds in Christ Jesus." 

Philippians 4:6-7




This is one of my favorite Bible verses, 

and the following passage from St. Augustine's Confessions, seems to be its partner: "You have made us for Yourself, O Lord, and our heart is restless until it rests in Thee."


I remember when I had no peace at all, 

little things made me cry, and it seemed as if everything I had done in my life was worthless. I would argue with everyone and fought with my poor mother who could not understand 

what was happening. It was in such a contrast to my usual state of mind 

 where I was content, thankful for everything, and rarely in contention with anyone. My mother called it my MIDNIGHT CRISIS, and so it was! 

I found out eventually there was something wrong with my thyroids that caused all the havoc with my emotions and physical well being. 


Through it all, and it lasted for more than a year, I held on to Philippians 4:6-7. I would confess it, pray it, claim it, repeat it, and I knew that one day, 'this too shall pass'. And thank God, it did!


Peace is not the absence of 

problems, conflict, storms, anger...

It is the surety we belong to Someone 

who loves us and wants the best for us. It is the confidence that everything 

will turn out right, even in spite of ourselves. 


Thank You Lord that even in a world full of tension, strife, and confusion, You are the gatekeeper, and we can enter into Your peace!


http://patsypat.blogspot.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am so glad you dropped by! You are a blessing!
:^) Patsy