Thursday, November 07, 2019

Living for Oneself


“None of us lives for oneself...” Romans 14:7




Whenever I am in Tokyo, I get impressed with their efficient trains and transportation system. When a train is late, the station attendant gives out a densha chien shoumeisho, or train delay certificate, to explain why a person is late for school or work. In Manila, there is no such courtesy as our trains often break down, stranding thousands of commuters. 


I get dismayed and saddened knowing that to get to work on time, thousands and thousands of Filipinos have to get up really early to brave the monstrous traffic, and they get home extremely late. But do our leaders care? President Duterte said, “Let EDSA remain as it is for the next 20 years…'Wag na lang. Wala na tayong magawa. (Don’t bother. We can’t do anything about it.)”


My sister, who lives in Tokyo tells me there is no crime and the Japanese walk the streets even at night confidently with their backpacks on their back. She tells me if you want to start a business, every thing you need to do is spelled out in black and white online. No guessing and no fixers. Things are invariably done for the common good. Taxes are put to good use and not pocketed by the unscrupulous people in high and low positions of government. 


Although the Philippines has plenty of money, about 20% of our total budget, or P700 billion a year is lost in some form of corruption or another. I find it so sad that people in leadership roles so easily just think of themselves, and ignore the many who need education, healthcare, housing, a better life!!! 


But just as our leaders’ sins are glaring, as I point my finger at our President who promised us many things, and those in power with him, three fingers are pointing at me! How have I disappointed God with my own selfishness? How many times have I thought of myself, and not sacrificed my time to help someone in need? How much of the resources God has gifted me with, has gone towards improving the lives of others? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am so glad you dropped by! You are a blessing!
:^) Patsy