Monday, December 02, 2019

Lord, I Believe!”


"Amen, I say to you, in no one in Israel have I found such faith.” Matthew 8:10




What was it about the Centurion’s faith that surprised Jesus? Jesus said to the centurion, “Go, and just as you have believed, so let it be done for you.” And his servant was healed at that very hour. True, it was very unusual for a Centurion, an officer in charge of 100 or more soldiers, to care so much for his servant. The historian Polybius noted, that a Centurion must be “ready to hold their ground, and die at their posts." They must be courageous, and not very sentimental, I think. 


But this man took the time to find Jesus, approach him and petition, “Lord, my servant lies at home paralyzed and badly tormented.” In those times a servant was no better than an animal, but this Centurion loved his servant and had compassion for him. He also had faith in Jesus, that even if Jesus did not go to his home, He could heal his servant. 


The Centurion said the very words we say at every Mass, “Lord, I am not worthy that you should enter under my roof, but only say the word, and my servant shall be healed.” Jesus saw his heart, his faith, and answered his prayer. Do we have the same kind of faith as the Centurion?


Advent is a special time with special graces. Let us approach Jesus with the expectant faith of the Centurian. And if we feel our faith is lacking, let us pray like the father in Mark 9:24, “Lord, I believe! Help my unbelief!” 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am so glad you dropped by! You are a blessing!
:^) Patsy