Monday, March 25, 2019

Thy Will be Done

“May it be done to me according to Your Word.” Luke 1:38




I wonder how many times I’ve said, “Your will be done, O Lord”. Very few I believe. I have read and seen movies of this true revelation about Mary visited by Angel Gabriel more times than I can count. Because it is so familiar, I can take for granted the elements of the story. Mary is a very young and innocent young girl when this happened, even if she was betrothed to Joseph. That an angel appears is already awe-inspiring for Gabriel is no cherub, but a mighty archangel of revelation who can explain visions and defend people. Here he carries an important message from God that changes the world. Mary will conceive, he says, and bear a Son who shall be named Jesus.  “He will be great and will be called Son of the Most High.” The angel explains, “The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. Therefore, the child to be born will be called holy, the Son of God.” 


The ordinary reaction to such an announcement would be speechlessness. Or “Whaaat?! Me?! I’m not worthy!” Or “I’m too busy! Give the responsibility to someone else!” Or “Why me? Why now?” in a lament. Isn’t that usually the case when we are given an assignment, mission or responsibility in our church or community? Very few of us would say, like Mary, “Behold, I am the handmade of the Lord. May it be done to me according to Your Word.” 




The truth is we all are given the assignment to carry Jesus into our world, our homes, schools, offices, neighbourhoods, the noisy marketplace. We need to bring Jesus even into Facebook, Twitter and Instagram. Just like Mary, each Christian is supposed to give flesh to Jesus wherever we go. That’s what Jesus meant when He said, “Go out into all the world, and preach the good news!” Someone said, “Preach the gospel at all times. When necessary, use words.” Can we, like Mary, do our assignment? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am so glad you dropped by! You are a blessing!
:^) Patsy