Friday, March 03, 2017

The Fasting I Wish

"This, rather, is the fasting I wish: releasing those bound unjustly, setting free the oppressed, breaking every yoke, sharing your bread with the hungry..." Isaiah 58:6-7


I haven't been great at fasting! I know my friends from Victory and CCF sometimes fast for a whole week, having nothing but liquids! Me? Oh dear, I look for other ways to fast which is why I like this verse. I know that fasting from food produces fast results and I've done it before to intercede for something really important but here we see there are alternative ways to fast that please God. 

Lent is a time for spring cleaning, looking under and inside, to see where the cobwebs and dust balls have gathered undisturbed. Is there some envy lurking in the deepest recesses of my heart? I'd grab a hold of a long whisk broom and forcibly replace it with gratitude. Have I been pessimistic and hopeless about what is happening around us? I should intentionally look for verses about hope and trust. We should know deep in our hearts that it's not a question of IF God will move but WHEN! 

Are we bitter about someone? Do we hold a grudge? Have we hurt a brother or sister? Do we accumulate too much stuff? Oh dear, so many things to work on! And while we're at, let's remember that anything we do for others, we do for Jesus. If we encourage someone who is sick, bring food to an inmate, visit someone in an old age home, it's Jesus. If we are irritable with a beggar, or oppress our subordinate, it's Jesus too!

Lord, may I be aware of the cobwebs and dustballs in my life. Help me to clean up well so I may wear the garment of righteousness You have provided for me.  

1 comment:

  1. This is marvelous. I am not good at fasting either. hugs, Teresa

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you dropped by! You are a blessing!
:^) Patsy