Saturday, September 30, 2017

Listen to Him


I'm joining a mail swap and here's what I've got in the package so far. 


So happy that my son Josh has discovered the joy of drawing! 


"Pay close attention to what I tell you..." Luke 9:44

I wonder how many times Jesus told the disciples to pay close attention to His words? Even God the Father told them, "This is My Son, My Chosen One; listen to Him!" when they were up on the mountain of Transfiguration. When we pray, do we keep talking and talking? Or do we take the time to listen? If we regularly stay silent for a time and try to hear the Lord, we will eventually recognize His voice. That is His promise in John 10:27. Jesus said that His sheep hear Him. "My sheep listen to my voice. I know them and they follow me. They shall never perish." 

If we meet a new friend, and she calls us up, we may not recognize her voice right away. But if we talk often, we hear her voice all the time, then we will know who she is even if she does not give her name. The key is we have to take the time to listen. James Dobson, the Christian author, prays, "Lord, I need to know what You want me to do and I'm listening. Please speak to me through my friends, books, magazines, and circumstances." 

Most of the time, when I listen for God to speak, I do not hear anything. But there are many times He speaks to me as long as I tell Him I want to hear Him. He has spoken to me through the Bible, through the radio, when I am before the Blessed Sacrament, when I am at the beach, when I am in a garden, when I am alone or in a crowd. He has encouraged me, assured me of His love, admonished me, saved me from mistakes, and given me peace and joy beyond understanding. There is no downside to listening to God. Even when He shows me my sin, there is no condemnation. 



Dear dear Jesus, may I always take the time to be silent and try to listen to You. I so want to be Your sheep, to be part of Your flock, and learn all You want to teach me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am so glad you dropped by! You are a blessing!
:^) Patsy