Thursday, May 18, 2017

One Step at a Time

"Live on in my love." John 15:9



Oh to bask in the Lord's love forever and ever. To remain in His love (NIV), abide in His love (NASB), continue in His friendship (Aramaic Bible in Plain English), must be a joy and a delight. 

I think of all my dear friends in a hardship today. One who needs an operation and can't because he might lose his life if the doctors proceed. Another whose husband has been in a coma for weeks. Another whose son got into a motorcycle accident. So many in jail waiting for their promulgation even if they've served time for their crime. And so many of my friends have cancer. If only we can all learn to live, to abide, to continue in our Savior's love as He advises us to. Perhaps then we can fully trust, fully leave everything in His hands. Perhaps then we can be like Saint Theresa of Avila and let nothing disturb us. "Nada te turbe," she prayed, "God alone suffices." 

 
Jesus says we have to keep His commandments to remain in His love. "All this I tell you that my joy may be yours and your joy may be complete." (John 15:11) Isn't it terribly difficult, Lord, to keep Your commandments? we ask. And this is what Jesus has to say, "This is my commandment: love one another, as I have loved you." (John 15:12) All of God's commandments boil down to, can be distilled to its very essence: love. "Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love." (1 John 4:8). 

Lord, how difficult is it to love like You? So infinitely impossible. For You gave Your very life and blood for each one of us, even for those who hate, ridicule and despise You. But like Mother Teresa said we can start with just one. One hungry child to feed. One hug, one visit, one letter, one prayer, one gift, one hour.... Lord, let me see with Your eyes, and love with Your heart. It is not impossible when I journey one step at a time with You! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am so glad you dropped by! You are a blessing!
:^) Patsy