Friday, November 23, 2018

The Joy of my Heart

“Your decrees are my inheritance forever; the joy of my heart they are.” Psalm 119:111




Psalm 119 is one of the most fascinating Psalms in the Bible. One can tell that whoever wrote it absolutely delighted in God’s Word and was overcome with how beautiful and precious it was. Unlike other Psalms, the writer did not include his name. He wrote all 176 verses to form an acrostic poem, dividing the verses into 22 stanzas, one for each of the characters in the Hebrew alphabet. The psalm is also known by its first verse beginning with the first character “Aleph”, "Ashrei temimei derech" ("Happy are those whose way is perfect"). 




How wonderful to be as entranced by God’s Word and His promises as the author of Psalm 119. When we read the verses aloud, we can put ourselves in his place. “In the way of Your decrees I rejoice, as much as in all riches! Yes, Your decrees are my delight; they are my counselors! The law of Your mouth is to me more precious than thousands of gold and silver pieces. How sweet to my palate are Your promises, sweeter than honey to my mouth!” 




Like the author, we can set our heart steadfastly on God’s Words and promises. When we meditate on them, we can be sure that our eyes will be turned away from worthless things, and His Word will light our path. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

I am so glad you dropped by! You are a blessing!
:^) Patsy