Friday, August 07, 2020

What Profit?

“What profit would there be for one to gain the whole world and forfeit his life?” Matthew 16:26




When I decided to open an account to do some trading on the stock market, I realized I was not going to earn very much money. I liked to hold on to the stocks I bought even when the price was going down. At the start of this pandemic, I deliberately did not look at the prices going down, and have not seen it since. It was a good thing I was a small time investor! We all like to make good investments, don’t we? My mom would always take down the telephone numbers when she would see signs of lots for sale, thinking if she buys property in a prime location, the value would rise in a few years. 


Some people in government have taken advantage of this pandemic by procuring PPEs and other items at prices much higher than market price. Others have used their positions in government to get contracts worth millions for their law businesses, security agencies, real estate firms, etc. They became very very rich in the process. I wonder what they will do with all that money?


We should take a look at our investments. Where do we put not only our money, but our time, our efforts, and our affections? Will it make a profit in the long haul? Jesus warned, “What profit would there be for one to gain the whole world and forfeit his life?” Does what we do with our life today gain us a place in heaven? We may find at the end that we spent too much of it in pursuit of things that do not really matter. Let us invest in our relationships with God and His family. After our life here on earth, our temporary home, we will leave everything solid behind. But the family of brothers and sisters, Jesus and our Father, bound by the love of the Spirit will still be our family in our eternal home. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

I am so glad you dropped by! You are a blessing!
:^) Patsy