Friday, August 26, 2016

The Five Foolish Virgins


 And the foolish said to the prudent, "Give us some of your oil, for our lamps are going out." Matthew 25:8

Jesus' parable of the 5 prudent virgins and the 5 foolish virgins is a warning, one of many warnings Jesus gave about how we should always be prepared for His coming. Verse 10 reads, "...and the door was shut." The door is wide open for us now but there will come a time, if we do not have what we need, that the door will be shut forever in our face. Just like the foolish virgins who were pleading, "Lord, open  the door for us," no amount of cajoling will get us in!

What did the foolish virgins do to deserve such a punishment? They did not bring any oil for their lamps. All 10 virgins were eagerly awaiting the bridegroom, 5 had extra oil with them, 5 did not. When the light from their torches were petering out, the 5 foolish virgins asked for oil from the wise and were not given any. Were the 5 wise virgins selfish? No, because this kind of oil we cannot share with others. I think the torch is our spiritual life, and the oil is what keeps that life vibrant, alive, burning! 

Lord, may I forever, until the day I die, keep my torch burning brightly for You! You are my Bridegroom, my delight and my joy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am so glad you dropped by! You are a blessing!
:^) Patsy