Monday, June 03, 2019

All God’s Gifts

“And when Paul had imposed his hands on them, the Holy Spirit came over them. And they were speaking in tongues and prophesying.” Acts 19:6




Many people, even Christians, do not believe that this happens today, that the Holy Spirit manifests Himself through many gifts, including but certainly not limited to the gifts of tongue and prophecy. When I was young, my family would attend many prayer rallies. Several times in our own prayer meetings we would have guests with very strong gifts of the Spirit. They would extend their hands and people would fall down, slain in the Spirit. 


We also joined several Life in the Spirit seminars. I was too interested in the crying, the different tongues and the noise in general, that no matter how long hands were laid on me, I didn’t feel anything, and nothing happened. 


But hands were imposed upon me and that meant the “Holy Spirit came upon me”. Also, one speaker told a story of a man who after being laid hands on, started speaking nonsense to fool the congregation. He then announced that he had just made up all the “tongues”. Somebody suddenly spoke up revealing, “You were speaking in my language, sir, Swahili.” 


After that night, I started making nonsense sounds all throughout the day to show God I meant business, that I really wanted this least of gifts. In the evening when I got home, I closeted myself in my room, and sat in my rocking chair, continuing to make nonsense sounds. After maybe an hour or so, I felt the sounds coming from inside me, like an uncontrollable fountain. The nonsense did not feel like nonsense anymore but genuine praise in another language. I stayed there in my room in ecstasy for I don’t know how long, drunk with heavenly wine. Then I prayed to understand, and the tongues became English for a while. 


Today, I always use tongues to praise God, to intercede, especially when I do not know what to pray for, when I am at a loss for words. God has given us this remarkable gift! Let us desire to have all the gifts God wants to give us! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am so glad you dropped by! You are a blessing!
:^) Patsy