Sunday, January 24, 2021

How to Fish for People


“Come after me and I will make you fishers of men.” Mark 1:17




I am so used to hearing the phrase “fishers of men”, that I just take this verse for granted but in the NIV and New Living Translation, this verse sounds funny. “Come be my disciples, and I will show you how to fish for people!” I am sure it sounded even funnier to the two brothers, Simon and Andrew, that Jesus issued the invitation to. They were after all, real commercial fishermen, rough and ready, no-nonsense men. What did they think? One would have surmised they would scoff and say, “What in the world are you talking about?” But they immediately left their boat and their nets to follow Jesus. 


A little farther the three men caught up with two other brothers, James and John, who were mending their nets in a boat with their father Zebedee. Jesus called out to them too and they immediately followed him, leaving their boat and their father behind. 


How about us? We may be a rough and ready no-nonsense person, or a “kikay” stylishly feminine woman, or an introvert who prefers his or her own company. Whatever we are, Jesus issues the same invitation. Do we step out of our boats, our comfort zone, and take one step at a time to follow Him? I believe that if we do, we will have the adventure of a lifetime! Jesus is that kind of a leader! If our hearts are open to receive His teaching we will never know where He will lead us. His plans for us are bigger and better than any we can concoct for ourselves! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am so glad you dropped by! You are a blessing!
:^) Patsy