Monday, February 06, 2012

God has given me Wings!

We all have challenges,
and it's difficult to
"Delight in the Lord..."
if we don't have the seed of faith to start with.

 Isaiah 58:14 says "I will cause you to ride
upon the high places of the earth."

One of my favorite books is 
"Streams in the Desert", a compilation
of quotations, poems, spiritual inspiration that 
sustained Mrs. Charles Cowman
during her missionary years in Japan and China.
It also helped her during the 6 years she 
nursed her dying husband.

Let me quote from the Feb. 4 meditation:
"Those who fly through the air in airships
tell us that one of the first rules they learn
is to turn their ship toward the wind, 
and fly against it.
The wind lifts the ship up to higher heights.
Where did they learn that?
They learned it from the birds.
If a bird is flying for pleasure, 
it goes with the wind.
But if the bird meets danger,
it turns right around and faces the wind,
in order that it may rise higher
toward the sun.

Sufferings are God's winds,
His contrary winds.
They are God's hurricanes,
but they take human life
and lift it to higher levels and toward
God's heavens."

"Be like a bird that, halting in its flight,
Rests on a bough too slight.
And feeling it give way beneath him sings,
Knowing he hath wings."

Sometimes I feel I am that bird,
and the bough beneath me is shaky and weak.
But I can sing like a bird, joyfully,
knowing if the bough breaks,
God has given me wings!

I love blog parties!
Won't you join us?


Blessings to you
and your family,
Patsy



27 comments:

  1. Your devotional is wonderful... just what I needed to hear. Your artwork is so beautiful, too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your artwork. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It always seems like it's the opposite of what makes sense. Turn in to the wind to rise higher? But it's true. It is true.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your a blessing tonight...Beautiful art work and verse.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So happy to have found your blog and Godly Art! Soli Deo Gloria!

    ReplyDelete
  6. One of my sisters is a "Streams..." fan; has been reading it for years. What a blessing to read this portion... and think of both the writer and my sis, Niki.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for sharing quotations and spiritual inspiration from one of your favorite books! They refresh one's soul!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Patsy! A very true message... I hope everyone realizes this one great blessing that God has given us wings to explore, fly and reach for that bliss of happiness

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the fearlessness of the birds. I want to be more like them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely posting Patsy. I haven't been by here in a while. Thanks for visiting my blog. Beautiful birds.

    Coleen in Ukraine

    ReplyDelete
  11. thanks for visiting my blog, your art work is stunning

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh simply beautiful. i always love your style!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I sooooo love the ballerina! It speaks of the total abandon and joy!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I didn't realize that birds purposefully flew into the wind for those reasons. I love that analogy that we don't have to turn away from troubles and go with the flow but can face them head-on, knowing God will cause us to rise above them eventually. Thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  15. As always...such beautiful artwork! And what a great analogy -- facing our troubles head on, like a bird in the wind, and we will rise higher! (We will soar on eagles' wings!)

    Blessings, Joan

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anonymous8:32 AM

    Thinking of sufferings as winds ...

    So much to feel. And maybe' if I let go, so many places to go ...

    Thanks for sharing such beautiful words and pictures.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I always come away refreshed from your posts. So glad I stopped by today.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Streams in the Desert is still my favourite and I love starting the day with the word.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love Streams in the Desert devotions as well. Your artwork is beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is such an uplifting post, filled with hope. Amen.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Beautiful, Patsy, in word and image. That blue on your first piece just soars.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I just love those thoughts! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have "Streams in the Desert", too, Patsy. I usually read it before I retire to bed. Your works are biblically-inspired that's why I love them!

    Praying for you, too!
    Rina

    ReplyDelete
  24. This is just lovely - both the art and the thoughts! Thanks for sharing with us at Inspire Me Monday!

    Ramona
    http://create-with-joy.com

    ReplyDelete
  25. YOur artwork is fabulous! Thanks for sharing that devotion, such a blessing.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Ooo I love this piece. It's gorgeous. I love how she's dancing and so free, praising the Lord. The birds and flowers are beautiful too. Thank you for sharing this at my Word Art Wednesday challenge. I hope you share your art with us again.

    Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Beautiful artwork, gorgeous colors. Thank you for sharing this with us at Word Art Wednesday.

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you dropped by! You are a blessing!
:^) Patsy