Monday, May 25, 2020

Take Courage


“In the world you will have trouble, but take courage, I have conquered the world.” John 16:33





There can be no doubt that trouble is part and parcel of our life on earth. When I was young, I asked God to treat me gently. It was my constant prayer. He answered that prayer until He showed me that if He did not prune me, His plans for me would not come to fruition. I remember clearly when He said during my prayer time in front of the Blessed Sacrament, “If you are willing to be pruned, I will give you Luigi as a husband.” I prayed for 3 days, in wonder. Does God do this? Did I really hear Him say that? Finally, after 3 days, I answered yes. And a couple of years after, Luigi and I were married. 


The pruning did not come right away, but several years afterward I was beset with persistent mouth sores that we could not find a cure for. Several doctors and treatments after, we learned I had Pemphigus Vulgaris, a rare autoimmune disease. Thank God my blisters only broke out in the lining of my mouth, and not all over my skin! This condition occurs when the immune system mistakenly attacks proteins in the upper layers of the skin. Then a few years after that I learned I had Thalassemia, an inherited blood disorder in which my body makes an abnormal form or inadequate amount of hemoglobin. And then I suffered from Deep Vein Thrombosis, and Pulmonary Embolism, which eventually led to my needing open heart surgery last December to remove calcified blood clots. So one may say I have certainly had my share of troubles! 


Yesterday, I attended a virtual prayer meeting led by my brother-in-law. The theme was “Faith that isn’t Troubled by Troubles”. That is what we want, isn’t it? That when we have troubles, our faith will not be shaken, we will not be anxious, but continue to anchor our life on God. If we want that, we need the troubles to test us, and God will use the troubles to produce in us good fruit. 


In the first chapter of the book of James, we read, “Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith produces perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything.” Well, I certainly am still immature and lacking so many things, but I recognize the grace of God in my life when I encounter it. Last December, in my hospital room, His grace was so palpable, I was devoid of anxiety at my coming open heart surgery. I felt I was wrapped in His grace and mercy. I had no fears at all, I could “laugh at the days to come”, like the woman described in Proverbs 31. 


Today, I continue to recuperate. I am stronger but my lungs still need the help of oxygen. I get tired quickly, and have to walk up the stairs very slowly. God has a sense of humor. There are so many recuperating with me, having to stay home as well! I continue to persevere, and hope in the Lord, and trust in His promises. “Blessed is the one who perseveres under trial because, having stood the test, that person will receive the crown of life that the Lord has promised to those who love him.” (James 1:12) Troubles come and go, but the goodness of the Lord is forever! 



No comments:

Post a Comment

I am so glad you dropped by! You are a blessing!
:^) Patsy