Friday, October 02, 2020

Angel of God, My Guardian Dear

“See that you do not despise one of these little ones, for I say to you that their angels in heaven always look upon the face of my heavenly Father.” Matthew 18:10




Today is the Feast of the Memorial of the Holy Guardian Angels. It may seem old fashioned to believe in benevolent beings taking care of us but the scriptural foundation is what Jesus said in Matthew 18:10, that each one of us has an angel. The pillars of the early Church believed in angels. St. Basil of Caesarea, a fourth century theologian wrote, “Beside each believer stands an angel as protector and shepherd leading him or her to life”. 


In his Angelus address on Oct. 2, 2011, Pope Emeritus Benedict XVI stated, “the Lord is ever close and active in humanity’s history and accompanies us with the unique presence of His Angels...From the beginning until the hour of death, human life is surrounded by their constant protection”. We commemorate this feast because we desire to celebrate God’s wonderful and faithful protection and providence. Many times we are unaware of our angels’ intervention, but there are many stories about how someone is saved by one who cannot be traced. 


I remember one story that came out in the news about a serious car accident involving a young girl. She could not be extracted from the wreck at first until a man who was dressed as a priest appeared and prayed over her and told the crew afterwards that they could now extricate her. They were able to, but when they looked for the man, he was nowhere to be found. He also did not appear in any of the pictures although many people saw him. The news agencies tried to trace him, calling up parishes, but they were unsuccessful.


When my nephew was a toddler, he liked watching the movie, “Angels in the Outfield”. One day when my sister and him were in the bedroom, he suddenly looked up, and asked shyly, “Who’s that?” When my sister directed her gaze to where he was looking, there was no one. “Who do you see?” “Big man,” he answered. My sister got frightened and hurriedly ushered him out. But she believed it was a visitation from an angel. 


While I was having my open heart surgery, my brother in law was praying for me. God gave him a vision of several angels surrounding my operating table. Even today, just like in Old Testament times, God sends His angels to take care of us. In the Book of Tobit, Angel Raphael introduced himself, “I am Raphael, one of the seven angels who stand and serve before the Glory of the Lord” (Tobit 12:15). He explained to Tobit, “When you, Tobit, and Sarah prayed, it was I who presented the record of your prayer before the Glory of the Lord” (Tobit 12:12) and “God sent me to heal you and your daughter-in-law Sarah” (Tobit 12:14).


Father, thank You that You command Your angels to guard us in all our ways. (Psalm 91:11)

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am so glad you dropped by! You are a blessing!
:^) Patsy