Friday, October 09, 2020

Take Heart

‘I shall return to my home from which I came.’ Luke 11:24




“When an impure spirit comes out of a person, it goes through arid places seeking rest and does not find it. Then it says, ‘I will return to the house I left.’ When it arrives, it finds the house swept clean and put in order. Then it goes and takes seven other spirits more wicked than itself, and they go in and live there. And the final condition of that person is worse than the first.” Jesus explained this to a crowd who accused Him of driving out demons using the power of the devil. He stated that a kingdom divided against itself cannot stand.


Why does Jesus talk about an empty house being occupied by an evil force? It should not be left vacant to be used as the devil’s playground. We have to fill it with all that is of God. “Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things.” (Philippians 4:8)


I was listening to the story of St. Therese and her family. St. Therese, her father and her mother, Zelie and Louis Martin, were all declared Saints by the Catholic Church. When they were younger, both Zelie and Louis sought unsuccessfully to enter religious life. They eventually met and married and within fifteen years, Zelie bore nine children. Within three years, four of their children died, but their faith sustained them through these tragedies. They had five surviving daughters, and the youngest was named Marie-Francoise-Therese. A century later people would know her as St. Therese, the "Little Flower." All five daughters entered religious life. 


Therese was rather spoiled and would exhibit temper tantrums when she was young. Before she was fifteen years of age, she desired to enter the Lisieux Carmel where her sisters were. Her father was so supportive, he helped her get an audience with the Bishop, and then eventually the Pope. She eventually got her wish on April 9, 1888. She was 15 years and three months old. 


Therese wrote in her journal, “It is impossible for me to grow up, so I must bear with myself such as I am with all my imperfections. But I want to seek out a means of going to heaven by a little way, a way that is very straight, very short and totally new." Like all of us, Therese was frequently annoyed with little things, a nun who made clacking noises with her false teeth, a sister who splashed dirty laundry water on her face, the cold diet, etc. She found ways to offer this all as a prayer to Jesus. That was her “little way”. 


We may find it amusing that Therese, the great mystic and Doctor of the Church, frequently fell asleep during the two hours of prayer and four and a half hours of liturgy. This is what we can read in The Story of a Soul:


“Really, I am far from being a saint, and what I have just said is proof of this; instead of rejoicing, for example, at my aridity, I should attribute it to my little fervor and lack of fidelity; I should be desolate for having slept (for seven years) during my hours of prayer and my thanksgivings after Holy Communion; well, I am not desolate. I remember that little children are as pleasing to their parents when they are asleep as well as when they are wide awake; I remember, too, that when they perform operations, doctors put their patients to sleep. Finally, I remember that: "The Lord knows our weakness, that he is mindful that we are but dust and ashes."


Indeed we can take heart in these words. As long as we are preoccupied with thoughts of God, then we can be assured God will take care of the rest.

1 comment:

  1. This is lovely. I've read “Story of a Soul” twice and it is in my personal library.

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you dropped by! You are a blessing!
:^) Patsy