Sunday, January 22, 2023

Catching Men

“Come after me and I will make you fishers of men." Matthew 4:19




In another version, this same verse reads: “Come, follow me, and I will send you out to fish for people."


Why did Jesus target Simon and Andrew, James and John? Was it because they were fishermen? Maybe because fishermen are used to being patient, to not catching anything for long stretches of time!


My father wanted to catch fish. He was quite obsessed and he even built a boat. But he wasn’t successful. It was not that he wasn’t patient. He would stay out in the sun for hours. Even with a fish finder, and even when he went out with the fishermen in their boat, he wasn’t able to catch fish. I remember when he gave up. He was already bedridden, and he gave instructions to his granddaughter. He said she had to go to Simo Banks and gave her directions, and sent her videos about fishing. Imagine if we were that eager and persistent about ‘catching men’! The father of Ric Warren was like that. He was dying already, but he had to be held down, because he had to ‘get one more for Jesus’! 


I believe that when we follow Jesus, even if we're total dummies about "catching men", He'll be the one to make us excellent fishers of men! We just have to be willing to be fishers of men. 


Todd Millikan wrote in his blog, “Every single child of God is made to have a role of incredible significance and influence in others' lives." Yes, Lord, teach me and use me! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am so glad you dropped by! You are a blessing!
:^) Patsy