Monday, February 27, 2023

When Did We See You?

Lord, when did we see you and feed you, or thirsty and give you drink?" Matthew 25:37




"Who gives himself with alms feeds three- himself, his hungry neighbor and Me." (Lowell)


St. Martin of Tours was an 18 year old legionary when he met a beggar clad in rags at the city gate of Amiens. He decided to cut his great woolen cloak into two, and gave the half to the beggar. That night he dreamt that it was Christ wearing half of his cloak. 


St. Francis is famous for exchanging his rich clothes with beggars. And also kissing lepers whom he used to find revolting. Once when he did kiss a leper's hands and face, he looked around after mounting his horse, and could not find the leper anywhere!


"For I was hungry and you gave me food, I was thirsty and you gave me drink, a stranger and you welcomed me, naked and you clothed me, ill and you cared for me, in prison and you visited me." Matthew 25:35


Perhaps the best way to do Lent this year is to find Jesus in jail, in the hospital, orphanage, old age homes, or hungry in the hovels in the city. In this parable of the Last Judgement, we see that in the Kingdom where God is Master, we will be judged not according to what we have accumulated, how much power or popularity or influence we have, but how much we loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am so glad you dropped by! You are a blessing!
:^) Patsy