Thursday, March 30, 2023

Name Change

“No longer will you be called Abram…” Genesis 17:5



What's with all the name changing in the Bible? God told Abram in Genesis 17:5, "No longer will you be called Abram; your name will be Abraham, for I have made you a father of many nations." After Jacob, the grandson of Abraham, wrestles with an angel and wins, the angel tells him his new name is Israel. God changes a person's name to give him a new identity, a new destiny, a new mission. It's also a prophetic call.

Perhaps some of us have nicknames given to us in our youth that have negative connotations relating to our height, our failures, our social inadequacies. Or maybe some of us have labels we carry because a doctor pronounced it upon us: diabetes, cancer, hypertension... We can also give ourselves a declaration that forms a barrier to our happiness or confidence: "I can't do this." "I'm not creative." "I'm not beautiful." "I'm destined to fail."

God can give us a new name, and we can claim it, by looking through the Bible, and finding those verses that we can confess until we believe it.

God did not give me a spirit of fear, but of power, love, and self-control. 2 Timothy 1:7 "I have power. I have no fear!"

The love of God in me never fails. 1 Corinthians 13:4-8 "I am love."

Heal me, O Lord, and I shall be healed; save me, and I shall be saved, for you are my praise. Jeremiah 17:14 "I am healed."

For I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord, plans for welfare and not for evil, to give you a future and a hope. Jeremiah 29:11 "I have a good future!”

Like Abraham, let us hold fast to God’s promises for our God is the same today as He was yesterday. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

I am so glad you dropped by! You are a blessing!
:^) Patsy