Friday, July 07, 2023

The Precious Blood

“Those who are well do not need a physician, but the sick do.” 
Matthew 9:12



Here is a true story of John Wesley and a thief. I learned about John Wesley many years ago because my father was Methodist, and John Wesley was the father of the Methodist denomination. Wesley was always a passionate preacher of the gospel and he probably covered 250,000 miles on horseback going from one place to another doing so.

One night as John Wesley crossed Hounslow Heath near London, he was surprised by a robber jumping in front of him and grabbing his horse’ bridle. “Halt! Your money or your life!” the man shouted. John gave him the few coins he had and invited the robber to check his saddlebags if he wanted to. The man found only books and the Bible. Before the thief left, Wesley stopped him to say these exact words, “Stop! I have something more to give you….My friend, you may live to regret this sort of life. If you ever do, I beseech you to remember this: ‘The blood of Jesus Christ, God’s Son, cleanses us from all sin.’”

The robber hurried away while Wesley prayed that God would touch him. Many years later, after John Wesley spoke in a regular Sunday service, a stranger approached him. He was the man who had robbed Wesley in Hounslow Heath and he had become a Christian and a successful tradesman in London. The man reverently took Wesley’s hand and kissed it. 

“To you dear sir, I owe it all.” Wesley, remembering what he had said all those years ago, replied, “No, my friend, not to me, but to the precious blood of Christ which cleanses us from all sin.” Yes, we all need the precious blood of Christ to heal us, and cleanse us from all sin.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am so glad you dropped by! You are a blessing!
:^) Patsy