Friday, October 05, 2018

Under His Wings

“Behold, I am of little account; what can I answer you?” Job 40:3




I have been meditating on the Book of Job with the Catholic readings since Monday. I don’t know if there is any verse in Job that we would cross stitch and put on our walls. Job lost his sons and daughters, his sheep, his shepherds, his camels, his servants, his health. He was only left with his grumpy wife who advised him, “Curse God and die!” 


Job replied, “You talk like a godless woman. Should we accept only good things from God and never anything bad?” Indeed, we never know what a day brings. This morning I woke up to my sister’s text asking for prayers. The daughter of a family in our community got into an accident and was in serious condition. Of course I started praying right away. I could not imagine how the parents and siblings were feeling, the desperation mingling with hope and trying, trying to trust in God and His goodness. 


Job’s friends try to comfort and guide him. “My advice to you is this: Go to God and present your case to Him. For He does great works too marvelous to understand. He performs miracles without number...For though He wounds, He also bandages. He strikes, but His hands also heal.” Job doesn’t understand and he has many questions. He is so desperate and devastated like us when we are in a dark place. 




But God stoops to Job’s level and answers his questions from a whirlwind: “Brace yourself for I have some questions for you!” Of course, Job cannot answer God’s timeless and profound questions! We too cannot answer our own questions, much less God’s. We just need to get to a place where we can trust in Him and hide under His wings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am so glad you dropped by! You are a blessing!
:^) Patsy