Sunday, October 21, 2018

You Do Not Know What You are Asking

“You do not know what you are asking.” 

Mark 10:38




This story in the Bible holds a lesson for all of us. Frequently we read of corrupt politicians or infamous celebrities saying that they prayed or read the Bible. They “kept company” with God, but they do all sorts of things not compatible with a servant of God. We should not really be surprised because even James and John, who accompanied Jesus everywhere, did not understand what it meant to be a follower of Jesus. 


They went to Jesus and said, “Teacher, we want You to do for us whatever we ask of You.” Already, that request must have rang multiple bells in Jesus’ mind, but He replied calmly, “What do you wish Me to do for you?” James and John answered, “Grant that in Your glory, we may sit one at Your right and the other at Your left.” Jesus said to them, “You do not know what you are asking.” 


Many times we ask God for things, and sometimes He gives it to us, and sometimes He doesn’t. Perhaps like James and John, we do not know what we are asking. In the last Ultra Lotto, so many  people bought tickets, and I am sure many people prayed they would win! 


I read a prayer in one Facebook post that went something like, “Dear God, let me win so I can show You I won’t waste the money and use it for good.” Another one posted, “Lord, I believe that if I win, I can help change the lives and future of the poor. I believe that if I win, I will make the Church, my family, and friends happy. I believe that I am so ready to win the Ultra Lotto!” It seems exciting to win 1.1 billion pesos and most of us think we won’t make the same mistakes as the 70% of lotto winners who lost all their winnings in 5 years. The money destroyed them. 


So yes, we may pray for all sorts of things, and we should. But let us trust God to answer in His own way and time, because He knows what’s best for us. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am so glad you dropped by! You are a blessing!
:^) Patsy