Sunday, October 28, 2018

I Want to See!

“I want to see!” Mark 10:51




Sometimes when trying to understand a story in the Bible, I put myself in one of the character's shoes. This time I put on a blind beggar’s clothes. It is undoubtedly filthy as Bartimaeus, son of Timaeus, does not have anyone with him, to guide him or to take care of him. 


At this point when I enter into Bartimaeus’ life, I am just sitting by the road outside Jericho. I am begging for food, dependent on the kindness of strangers. What a lonely life, most would say! But being blind, my sense of hearing is acute. I can hear the chirping of birds, the little things no one notices. I am eager for any conversation and pay great attention to stories I hear as people pass me by. Recently there are a lot of stories of Jesus of Nazareth. Wonderful stories of how he touches people and they walk! My heart is full, and I am so eager to hear about Jesus, His parables, His teachings, but how can I if no one brings me to where He is? There is a little seed in my heart, a seed of yearning, a seed of hope!


Suddenly, there is a commotion. There is a sizable crowd approaching, a lot of shuffling feet. People speaking all at the same time, a lot of excitement. What is happening? I focus my attention so I can understand what is being said. I hear the name, "Jesus of Nazareth", and my heart quickens. Of course, I am not going to let this moment slip by! I shout as loud as I can, "JESUS, SON OF DAVID, HAVE PITY ON ME!" I try to get up awkwardly, but people push me. I almost fall backwards, but I do not care. I keep shouting. Many are telling me to keep quiet, to shut up, but I shout even louder so Jesus can hear. "JESUS, SON OF DAVID, HAVE PITY ON ME!"


Finally, I hear a quietness. Even if I have never seen Him, I know that voice. It is a compelling voice. "Call him over." Someone comes and pulls me, saying gruffly, "You have nothing whatever to fear from Him! Get up! He is calling you!" I throw aside my filthy rag of a cloak, get up, and couldn't believe it. I was right beside Jesus! "What do you want me to do for you?" He asked, full of compassion, (the Greek word used in Mark20:34, is Jesus was moved to His very core). I knew I could ask for anything, anything! I could ask for riches, for fame, for food, for new clothes, but I knew what I was going to ask! "Rabboni," I say in a trembling voice. "I want to see." Jesus then lays a hand on me, "Be on your way! Your faith has healed you!" And then, miracle of miracles, I can see! I see Jesus' kind face and my heart is full! I start to follow Him and never look back.


Am I as eager to hear Jesus' teachings and stories so that my heart will be full of faith? Faith comes from hearing Jesus' words. (Romans 10:17) What do I ask from God? Are my prayers full of pleadings for this and that, and not for the most important prayer, to see? To have faith? We are all blind beggars in a way. We need the gift of faith so we can see God and all that we have in Him! Let us all pray like Bartimaeus, “JESUS, SON OF DAVID, HAVE PITY ON ME!”

1 comment:

I am so glad you dropped by! You are a blessing!
:^) Patsy