Wednesday, October 02, 2019

I Prayed

 "I prayed to the God of heaven and then answered the king..." Nehemiah 2:4




I did not know much about Nehemiah, but when I read what he wrote, I really admired him.  He was the cup bearer of King Artaxerxes, meaning he made sure that the king's wine was not poisoned by drinking it to check it.  When he found out that the people back in Jerusalem were having big problems because the walls were torn down and the gates burned, he wept.  For days he mourned, fasted and prayed. How many times have I done this for my people, for my country, even if I know, we need so much help from God Most of the time I just criticize our leaders, bemoan their lack of vision and get frustrated about the state of our country!


In the 2nd chapter, the king with the asked Nehemiah why he was so sad. Instead of answering the king right away, Nehemiah stopped to pray, THEN answered the king. Because of this, the king allowed Nehemiah to go join his people in Jerusalem. The king even wrote a letter to his forest manager to provide timber for the gates, the fortress and Nehemiah's house.  But when Nehemiah started his project to rebuild the walls and the gate, there was so much opposition. Again and again and again, Nehemiah would pray! The laborers would work with one hand, and hold a weapon with the other! Such was the danger they faced! But in spite of their enemies, the wall was finished in 52 days. Then the people held a solemn assembly. They fasted, the Book of the Law was read aloud to them for 3 hours, and then they confessed their sins. After that they dedicated the new wall of Jerusalem with songs of thanksgiving.  


O Lord our God, here I see how You answer prayers, even impossible prayers. Our country is in dire need of Your deliverance. Instead of criticizing or losing hope, help us to humble ourselves, pray and seek Your face, confess our sins and turn from our evil ways. Then You will hear from heaven, and forgive our sin, and heal our land. (2 Chronicles 7:14

No comments:

Post a Comment

I am so glad you dropped by! You are a blessing!
:^) Patsy