Thursday, February 17, 2022

Show No Partiality

“My brothers and sisters, show no partiality as you adhere to the faith in our glorious Lord Jesus Christ. For if a man with gold rings and fine clothes comes into your assembly, and a poor person with shabby clothes also comes in, and you pay attention to the one wearing the fine clothes and say, “Sit here, please,” while you say to the poor one, “Stand there,” or “Sit at my feet,” have you not made distinctions among yourselves and become judges with evil designs? “ James 2:1-4




I long for the day our Philippine politicians will not be so entitled. When I went to Vancouver, I saw a man speaking in the sidewalk, no bodyguards, no fanfare, and I learned he was running for Mayor. We won’t see that here. In other countries you don’t have the names of councilors or mayors on imposing concrete structures as if the land it is on is their own private property. Here if a politician steals billions from public funds they can run for a position. If an old man steals bread because his family is hungry, he lands in prison. Obviously this is so contrary to the teachings of Jesus. 


But feeling privileged is not confined to politicians, rich or important people. I’ve acted entitled several times. We need to watch out for those times, when we feel above other people. For example, when we think we can call out a security guard for correcting us, when he is actually just doing his job. One time I was very arrogant with a bank teller. Even if I was in the right as I believed, I could have been more polite. There are many ways God teaches us to be humble. We should be sensitive to those times, and act as if the person we are speaking to is a brother or sister. We should see them through the eyes of Jesus, and always act in love.

1 comment:

  1. Powerful words, thank you for sharing wisdom that comes from Jesus. I was thinking about what James said about showing partiality to the rich just this morning and now read your words. I know I can improve in this area. God bless you.

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you dropped by! You are a blessing!
:^) Patsy