Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Like Yeast


When I go on Facebook,
I see a lot of my friends posting delicious food
that they've made themselves.
But what I really enjoy is when they show
pictures of their freshly baked bread!

I told my son recently,
look for a bread recipe that you would
like to eat and we will bake it.
I'm not much of a cook,
and the only bread I've made are tortillas.
It did not require any yeast.

My reading today is Luke 13:18-21.
"To what shall I compare the Kingdom of God?"
Jesus was telling the multitudes listening to Him.
"It is like a yeast that a woman took
and mixed in with three measures of wheat flour
until the whole batch of dough was leavened."

Why would Jesus compare the Kingdom of God 
to yeast in a bowl of wheat dough,
or as in the previous verse,
a mustard seed that grows into a huge tree?

Perhaps because both the seed and the yeast
is nothing until it is put into something.
They are both so small and inert, lifeless,
until some action is done.

Mother Teresa was able to accomplish so much.
Why? She did it one step at a time.
One of her oft quoted sayings is:
"We can do no great things,
only small things with great love."

Sometimes we have this great desire 
to help someone, to start something good,
but we hesitate because we think of 
the big picture.
We do not think of what God will do
when we give Him the little we have.

I have seen what God can do when
we obey, when we are generous with 
our limited time and resources.
In 2009, God asked me to go visit 
the inmates in the QC Jail.
I confessed that I cried because 
it was unimaginable for me at the time.
But I obeyed and you can read 
some of the stories here.
God provided and the preaching
in the jail continues every Friday,
although I have not been faithful to
my blog about it!



What I like doing while I paint is to listen to videos on Youtube
about the verse I am painting.
It is quite a short video and I wanted to share it with you.

Is there something you feel God is asking you to do
that you haven't done?
Maybe you can start with a small step?


Join me as I do 31 Days of posts,
writing from the HeART!
You'll find other fascinating posts
on The Nester, all doing a series of 31 Days!!!



Every week I choose one wonderful visitor
who leaves a comment
to receive an ATC from me.
I know it takes so much time and effort
to leave a comment
and I appreciate it soooo much!

This week,
Random.org chose
 #13, Carole Robb Bisson,
There's always lots
of inspiration going on
in her blog!



Blessings,
Patsy

2 comments:

  1. I REALLY like seeing all the steps to this work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a lovely posting! Thank you that you wrote this. Yes, I felt I had to help a child. It is such a small thing each month send some money, but it can help this precious child to get up out of poverty and to shine in the mud of life. Maybe she will be happy because we took a small step ...

    ReplyDelete

I am so glad you dropped by! You are a blessing!
:^) Patsy